Saturday, January 23, 2010

Commission Cards!

Well, how excited was I last week when I was asked to make some cards for a paying customer!!! My First Commission!!! The process was actually harder than I thought it would be... I usually work from an idea I get from anywhere, clothes, fabrics, home decor, magazines... then I sketch out my ideas and get working. Hardly ever do the cards end up looking the way I thought they would at the start. So, working to a strict brief of likes and dislikes was more challenging...

The first card was quite easy... My brief was Betsey Johnson (the fashion designer) and vintage jewellery... I found this gorgeous Betsey Johnson dress and the ideas started to flow....

A close-up of the detail....

This is the box I had to make for the card... Cute HUH?

Heres the card... I LOVE IT!!

Ive often tried the vintage 'collage' look on cards and cant seem to quite pull it off, I cant deal with the dishevelled, random, placement of trinkets and lace etc.... I love the look, but I cant do it. I have to have things simple, elegant and overall STRAIGHT! (Ask my friends. Im not quite as bad as I used to be... Before becoming an SU! Demo my favourite tool was my trusty ruler! YES! I would measure EVERYTHING to make sure it was centred and straight... Just a little anal huh? Im not so bad now, but I can still walk in a room and tell you which pictures hanging on the wall are not straight.) I think this is a happy compromise... what do you think?

Heres a close-up of the gorgeous flower detail... I lurve making these now... And the lace is a new fave too!!

So lastly a photo of the card and box together. The box was needed as the card was going in the post and wouldnt fit in a standard envelope. Im sooooo proud of this project. Oh yes, the customer was more than happy too! YAY!

Recipe.
Card...
Cardstock: SU! Pixie Pink, Basic Black, Very Vanilla.
Ink: SU! Basic Black and Pixie Pink
Stamps: SU! Frames with a Flourish and Happy birthday from stash...
Cuttlebug embossing Folder "Textile" (Folder brayered with black ink before running through Big-Shot) Flower detail-circles punched with SU! scallop circle punch. Button and pink pearls from stash. Lace made with Martha Stewart Punch.
Box...
Cardstock: SU! Very Vanilla, Pixie Pink, and Basic Black.
Ink: Basic Black & Pixie Pink.
Stamp: SU! Best Yet.
SU! Pink Taffetta Ribbon. Martha Stewart Punch for lace. SU! Small Oval and Scalloped Oval Punches.

I will share the other two commission cards soon...!

Enjoy!

C xx

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG!!! OMG!!! i love it, love it!! so yummy.. wheres that tutorial!!!!! heehee
hugs....

Linz said...

sooo pretty, loving the flower, and the colour scheme is fab

Abi Bundy said...

wow I love it!

simplyfairies said...

Utterly gorgeous!!